Cheap way is always good way for a start up. Try to do market research when you need it with a help of network around you:
- ask your friends and relatives
- get the survey and ask people what they think.
A list of questions that can be answered through market research:
- What is happening in the market?
- What are the trends?
- Who are the competitors?
- How do consumers talk about the products in the market?
- Which needs are important?
- Are the needs being met by current products?
Several interesting things I have found here and the information is video and text based.